Tuesday, April 22, 2014

STATIONERY LOVE

It is National Letter Writing Month, and this is my third post on writing. My first post was on the demise of cursive writing and can be found here.  My second post was on the art of calligraphy and can be found here.  My final post in this series will be on desks and tables.


I have loved beautiful stationery for as far back as I can remember.  Each summer, when I was a child, my mother would pull the Amy Vanderbilt Etiquette book from the shelf and read to my sisters and me. There was much emphasis put on writing etiquette. We would sit in our chairs, with our kool-aid or tea, and restlessly listen. I can remember the boredom I felt, having no idea how important the lessons she was teaching us were, until a few years later.

There was graduation, a wedding, and children, each requiring stationery. Later on, when I became a business professional, it was necessary to use personalized notes, letter sheets, envelopes and business cards.

I do not believe there is a substitute for a written thank you note or just a thoughtful note for that matter. If someone is going to be generous or kind enough to think of me, they deserve a proper thank you.

Below are the sources for some of the writing essentials and stationery that I use. Crane has always been my choice, and their work is always professional, whether letterpress, engraved, or printed.  There are so many companies with beautiful and fun stationery, and I will post on some of my favorites in another post.  I have also been known to shop Target for fun paper.

ENJOY!





  


This, I could not live without! Perfect for stickers, labels, and paper.

Sealing Wax


This Cross pen is inexpensive and a great rollerball gel.

My choice Oblique Pen Holder for Calligraphy

Find these products 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Find a very helpful section on writing etiquette here.

AND FOR MOTHER'S DAY -
DAY PLANNERS AND NOTEBOOKS AT MINTED!
Large Selection


HERE

 Image via Pinterest

To advertise with Splendid Sass, visit here, or contact me at splendidsass@gmail.co



IF YOU MISSED
Walker and Gillette: American Architects. 
Victorian Glory In San Francisco and the Bay Area Friday Pinterest Finds
Linens: For Every Room and Occasion
 ~ Jane Scott Hodges
The Art of Calligraphy
Matchbook Magazine ~ April Issue
Christopher Guy ~ Design Excellence
Blue and White Monday
Melanie Turner ~ Design in Rosemary Beach
Dining Alfresco
Is Cursive Writing a Thing of the Past?
Easter's on the Way
Monday Favorites
Thank You Tina, of The Enchanted Home
Barbara Heath ~ Interior Design in Atlanta
Vincente Wolf for Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Light Filled Living Rooms
The Best in Veranda ~ March/April Issue
Weekend Love
ROCO ~ Spring Issue
Matchbook Magazine
Mary Drysdale for American Standard
Blue and White Bash at The Pink Pagoda
The Day in Pinterest
Spring Tablescapes
Mariette Hines Gomez ~ Design in Washington
The Foyer ~ The First Impression
Bring on the Green
Advertising Bliss

 photo signature_zps513df16d.png

4 comments :

therelishedroost said...

Lovely notes here, hope you had a great Easter!

Karen said...

Teresa,
I still appreciate and enjoy the written words of a thank you note or card. That said, I accept that younger adults have come to rely on notes sent via email or the smart Paperless Post, and I'm okay with that too. No note, of any kind, when a gift has been sent, to me is bad manners, but even that scenario is occurring more often. I may go kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but I accept change. :-)
xo,
Karen

Playa Paper said...

Great article and photos. My fav was the little giraffe giving the koala a piggy back ride! Isn't it wonderful that a lovely piece of stationery is an extension of your personality? I am a stationery addict, and have a virtual stationery boutique. My mission is to keep the art of letter writing, sending invitations and mailing cards alive.

https://www.facebook.com/playapaper

The enchanted home said...

Love the story of your mom reading to you when you were younger about etiquette...that is such a sweet memory. As someone who loves to write and will look for any excuse I can find to buy beautiful stationery and send out a personalized note....this post is right up my alley. Love a wax seal and did them for last years Christmas cards, though labor intensive.....they were the perfect crowning touch!

Post a Comment

Thank you for you comments!
Hateful comments with improper language will not be posted