Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mama's Song


Painting by Lord Frederick Leighton

I had planned on writing todays post on another subject, but my daughter asked me to listen to Carrie Underwood’s Mama’s Song. I was so moved by this song that I decided to write this post about what this song meant to me. After writing the lyrics down and listening to the song, I needed one of the handkerchiefs written about in yesterdays post.

Being a mother is not an easy task; being a good mother is even more difficult. I don’t believe there is a person out there who has been a perfect mother, and if you believe that you have, someone else must have brought up your children for you.

As I reflect on the childhoods of my son and daughter, I tend to forget the runny nose, the dirty diapers, the lack of sleep, and the tears shed. I remember my son dumping a bag of sugar on the kitchen floor, sliding as if he had skates on his feet, and my daughter covering her entire body, including her long hair, in Crisco. Yes we all have our stories -- the school skits, musicals, dances, programs, and then the graduations. It passes by so quickly. Where did time go?

Joey left home gradually, thank goodness, and I was very close (across the street, haha) to him. When I walked away from Angela in that doorway at Samford, I thought my world was crashing in. I just knew that she would be left standing in a corner feeling awkward and left out. Well that has been the grandest of misconceptions.

My children are no longer at home, but they continue to be my “babies”, and I don’t believe these feelings will ever change. You can’t help being concerned about their health, safety, and happiness. We love them too much to completely let go, but you have to allow them to spread their wings and Fly.

Joey will be getting married this upcoming year, and I will be facing the same emotions experienced by all parents when they formally, and finally, give their children away to the person that they have chosen to spend the rest of their life with. The photograph below is of Joey and his beautiful fiance, Lindsay.

Angela is not thinking about getting married any time soon, but she knew this song would mean so much to me. She knows that it will be an emotional time for me when I walk her down the aisle. It will be a beautiful and happy day. The photograph below is of Angela and her MaMa.

I am leaving the lyrics to this song, along with two links. The first is a heart-felt moment with Carrie Underwood, the other the song itself. I hope that you will be as touched by this song as Angela and I are.

Mama's Song

Mama, you taught me to do the right things
So now you have to let your baby fly
You’ve given me everything that I will need
To make it through this crazy thing called life

And I know you watched me grow up
And only want what’s best for me
And I think I found the answer to your prayers

And he is good, so good
He treats your little girl like a real man should
He is good, so good

He makes promises he keeps
No he’s never gonna leave
So don’t you worry about me
Don’t you worry about me

Mama there’s no way you’ll ever lose me
Giving me away is not goodbye
As you watch me walk down to my future
I hope tears of joy are in your eyes

‘Cause he is good, so go
And he treats your little girl the way a real man should
He’s good, so good

He makes promises he keeps
No he’s never gonna leave
So don’t you worry about me,
Don’t you worry about me

And when I watch my baby grow up
I’ll only want what’s best for her
And I hope she’ll find the answer to my prayers
And then she’ll say

He is good, so good
And he treats your little girl the way a real man should
He is good, so good

He makes promises he keeps
No he’s never gonna leave
So don’t you worry about me,
Don’t you worry about me

Mama don’t you worry about me
Don’t you worry about me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpRZ_HdlsS0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbxzdwGc9Ls

I hope that you have enjoyed this blog post as much as I have enjoyed putting it together,
Merry Christmas,
Teresa

 photo signature_zps513df16d.png

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for you comments!
Hateful comments with improper language will not be posted